Thursday, February 14, 2013

a day at Cincinnati Children's Hospital

   Today has been quite the day - and I know you are all anxiously waiting for the details of our trip up here to Cincinnati.  I hope this post isn't too long but I really don't want to forget any details so you can really understand all that is going on and where the diagnosis sits today. I am going to break it up in to two sections: morning appointments and afternoon appointments and start off with some details about our journey up here yesterday. Another thing – the main reason we came to Cincinnati was because of the risk of lung anomalies, that require surgery that is only preformed here and in three other hospitals nationwide. We wanted them to take a closer look since they are more well-versed in the lung issues area.
   We left yesterday at about 8:30 AM and started our way up here to Cincinnati. Because I am pregnant we needed to stop every hour and a half or so for bathroom breaks but also so I could get out and walk around. We made it in at about 6:30 PM and checked in to the hotel. I posted on the page, but wanted to share it again here - we were SO blessed to find that someone had paid for our hotel stay upon our arrival. We are already weary about how finances were going to play a part in this trip because we are trying to prepare for the massive amount of medical bills from the already existing heart condition. My dad and Josh headed out to pick up some pizza and we just ate in the room and got some things ready for the morning - we had to be up and ready by 6 AM! I probably dosed off around 11:30, but woke up from 1:30 - 2:45 and had a snack (I guess me not being able to sleep made me have the munchies). I finally dosed back off around 3 PM.

Morning Appointments
   Fetal MRI - Waking up at 6 AM was pretty difficult - I was tired and hungry ( I couldn't eat anything after the midnight snack I had until after my MRI that ended at 8 AM). We headed to the hospital and got checked in to Radiology at about 6:30 AM and were called back pretty quickly. They had me sign all sorts of forms and then gave me the instructions. My parents waited in the waiting room, but Josh came in to the MRI room with me. I had to lay on my side and be still for at least an hour or until they were done taking pictures. The only issues they have with the fetal MRI's are that they can't really control the baby's movements, so they have to take a good amount of pictures. When all was said and done, it had been an hour and a half of total uncomfortableness, but I made sure not to move a muscle so they could get really good pictures and a better idea of what was going on. After all, this is the MAIN reason we are here. I felt baby Murphy kicking around ALL night long so I thought for sure he would be still - HA! He was jumping around like he had kickboxing practice the WHOLE time but they did get all the pictures they needed.  
   Ultrasound - Once the MRI was over we headed to have an ultrasound done and my mom and dad joined us. The appointment was scheduled for 8 AM, but we got over there around 8:30 AM. We have had these done in Atlanta, but they really wanted to do one of their own just to have a good look at everything. This took about an hour and we were able to head up to Pediatric Cardiology for our echocardiogram around 9:45 to register and wait for the 10:30 appointment. We didn't get any "printouts" from this ultrasound but we did see him sticking his tongue out LOL. 
   Echocardiogram - Once we registered we went back about 10:25 and started the echocardiogram. I had been eating somewhat throughout the day, but I guess the prolonged laying on my back and lack of food caused me to become VERY nauseous and dizzy. We had to stop half-way through so I could sit-up because I was really afraid I was about to pass out. I have never felt like that before and would like to NEVER feel like that again. The technician had me lay on my side for the remainder and that seemed to help. After she finished she took the images to the doctor and he came in about 30 minutes later to discuss what they had found. He confirmed everything we had already heard in Atlanta in regards to the heart condition, which was somewhat reassuring because everything was in line. He didn't really discuss much else with us because he would be in our team meeting at 2. We left and headed to get some lunch before the start of our meetings at 12:30 PM.

Afternoon Appointments
   12:30 PM - This was our meeting with the RN assigned to our case, Avery. She just went over some details in regards to what may be happening with the baby and go over the team meeting we would have at 2 PM.
   1:00 PM - We met with Erin the social worker assigned to our case. She reviewed financial assistance options and the Ronald McDonald house in the event we would need to stay in Cincinnati.
   1:30 PM - We met with Jackie the genetics counselor. She reviewed that our amnio results were all negative (which we already knew) and discussed that because this was not genetic related that the risk for a future pregnancy having a heart defect (any heart defect) was low - between 3-5%.
    2 PM - This was our team meeting, the thing we had been waiting for all day. We met with the pediatric cardiologist, surgeon, maternal-fetal high risk doctor, and a neonatologist. We would finally find out if the lung issue is related to the heart defect or if it is another anomaly all in itself. From the MRI images and the ultrasound, all of the people in our meeting had come to the same conclusion. They were able to tell us with confidence that the “brightness” in the lungs and their swelling/filling with fluid was related to the swelling caused by the Tetralogy of Fallot with Absent Pulmonary Valve Syndrome. This was a sigh of relief because we weren’t looking at an ADDITIONAL issue in regards to the heart, just something as a sort-of side effect from the defect. They all wrote letters that will be sent to the respective doctors following our care in Atlanta. Babies with Tetralogy of Fallot with Absent Pulmonary Valve (ToF APVS) have a high risk of still birth later in pregnancy – not the greatest fact but it is the truth. I will continue to be monitored weekly, and once I hit 28-30 weeks they will start antenatal testing and monitoring me more closely. The longest they want me to carry is 38 weeks, so it looks like baby Murphy will make his big arrival sometime between May 5-6, and we can FINALLY we can reveal his name! The doctors didn’t really give us any estimate on the time frame of surgery because, as always, it depends on how he is doing once he is born.
   I wish I could say that I am “extremely” relieved that it was not a separate lung issue, but I am not. The heart condition is VERY serious and VERY rare and it is still a big deal that the lungs are showing these signs early on in utero. The doctors stated that they have only seen this happen one other time in the past year at their facility. The doctors did say that once we received the first diagnosis in Atlanta that our doctors notated in the chart to almost expect lung brightness, but when they saw them continuing to get brighter it through up a red flag which made them want to send us up here to Cincinnati. I am SO glad we came, because if not we really would not haven’t been sure what the cause of the lung concern was throughout the remainder of the pregnancy. Luckily we will be able to head back to Atlanta and continue the pregnancy and also deliver there (another relief, we were worried about having to come back to Cincinnati at a later date). The next weeks of pregnancy (only about 11 left!) will be spent preparing for baby Murphy and the unknown future after he is here. The financial burden is something that scares me as well. Medical expenses are something that cannot be avoided and we will do ANYTHING to provide for our baby boy, it is just intimidating.
   I have to say we are so overwhelmed by your prayers and support so far and so thankful. Words really cannot even express how grateful I am. God has answered our prayers in regards to the lungs, and I know He has a plan for the rest of the pregnancy and baby Murphy’s life. He is going to work through this experience and diagnosis in ways we cannot see- and ways I am still struggling to see. I just wish my baby boy was perfectly healthy and wouldn’t have so many health concerns already, but I have to trust that God will prepare us for the next few months and we will be able to fully rely on him. I will continue to update everyone as these next weeks progress. Specific prayer requests are that nothing changes significantly in the negative direction. Any negative changes and/or added worries could cause us to head back to Cincinnati. Please pray that baby Murphy stays safe inside and the right time for delivery is chosen. The risk of still birth is something that is so terrifying and overwhelming. Since we spent all day driving yesterday and all day in the hospital today we are staying here until Saturday and using tomorrow as a day to rest and try to relax before heading back to Atlanta on Saturday.
   Praising God for His blessings today and answered prayers. Thank you prayer warrior friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment