Wednesday, March 25, 2015

What's on the Menu? (Week of March 23)

I posted to Facebook recently that my goal for the month of March was to make a different meal every night we cooked at home. It started the last week of February when I pinned some new recipes to Pinterest and they were all successful. I have created a new Pinterest board called Tried & True where I move all of the successful recipes and add my comments. If we tried it and it isn't good I won't move it over there. Since I have a blog - I figured I could post each week what was on the menu and go back and edit my post to reflect our opinions!

Monday - Savory Stuffed Pork Chops

Ingredients:
8 boneless pork chops, about 1 inch thick
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup of butter, cubed
5 cups fresh baby spinach
1 package (6 ounces) sage stuffing mix
1-1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 teaspoon of rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon of lemon-pepper seasoning

Here is the link to the recipe for the instructions: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/savory-stuffed-pork-chops

Results: I felt like I was on master chef making stuffed pork chops! When we were at the store I wasn't even sure if the pork chops were thick enough, but they turned out perfect. I've added my comments to the ingredients above because I didn't follow them exactly. My comments are in italics. In regards to the instructions, I would trim the fat off of the pork chop before stuffing them. They were very tender and so good!

Tuesday - Cheeseburger Egg Rolls

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1/2 medium red onion, minced
3/4 pound ground sirloin
Salt and pepper
1 cup sharp yellow cheddar cheese, grated
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tablespoon grainy, whole-seed mustard
1 package egg roll wrappers
Cooking spray
Sesame seeds


Here is the link to the recipe for cooking instructions:
http://www.rachaelray.com/recipes/cheeseburger-eggrolls

Results: This recipe was a total fail, but it was my fault. We were at Kroger and I could not find egg roll wrappers so I bought spring roll skins. I did some research and from what I could tell, they were supposed to be interchangeable words. THEY ARE NOT! I want to try this again, and I will using the correct egg roll wrappers. The inside was the best part and I do think that it would have made a difference to have the correct ingredients - next time I will not trust Google!

Wednesday - Chicken Parmesan Casserole

Ingredients:
4 cups fully-cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
1 jar (28 ounces) of marinara sauce
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup panko or whole wheat bread crumbs
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
fresh, chopped herbs (parsley, basil, oregano, etc), to taste
salt and pepper, to taste

Here is the link to the cooking instructions:
http://thrivinghomeblog.com/2013/07/chicken-parmesan-casserole-recipe-an-easy-freezer-meal/

Results: Overall a really good meal. The picture is a 9X13 pan but the recipe is actually for an 8X8 dish so make note of that when you are getting a pan out or you will end up greasing two pans. There was enough for leftovers and it was just as good the second time. More marinara sauce after cooking made it that much more "saucy".

We had plans Thursday-Sunday night so no cooking at home - but I will have more recipes to post next week!


The cooking entrepreneur,
Ashlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment