Saturday, March 9, 2013

another good appointment!

Yesterday was just an overall really good day! My morning was spent at the hopsital waiting for my little cousin Luke to be delivered and make his entrance to the world! I also had my follow up appointment with Dr. Pohl to check my cervix, measure my fundal height, and also do another FFN (fetal fibro-nectin test). Here is a sweet picture of baby Luke :)

such a little cutie!


In the midst of waiting on/meeting baby Luke I had my appointment with Dr. Pohl. Not sure if I have mentioned this before but I lucked out and ALL of my doctors offices/appointments are at the hospital and in the same building. They are also just a walk-way away from labor and delivery! So, my mom went with me to this appointment and we just headed over from the family waiting room where we had been most of the morning. 

Dr. Pohl measured my fundal height and said it was right around 36 cm. This is one week up from last time, but I am also a week further along in the pregnancy (29 weeks, 4 days) so there wasn't really a sudden jump or change like there was at the last two appointments. He also checked my cervix and said everything looked great - no signs of it shortening which would indicate pre-term labor! He did another FFN but didn't seem concerned that it would be positive but did tell me they would call on Monday with the results. I asked him if there was still a chance of me going in to labor earlier than the already planned 38 week induction and he said there was because I am still measuring 7 weeks ahead. After 35 weeks they won't stop labor at the hospital and especially not in our case because the medicine used to stop labor can be harmful to the baby and his already existing heart condition. At this point I am still praying that I make it to 38 weeks, but I also am praying that if he shows signs of distress before, then the doctors will know we need to induce labor earlier. They will start the weekly non-stress tests in about 2-3 weeks so they will be able to keep a better eye on how baby Murphy is doing in there. Always thankful for eyes on our baby twice a week, that is one thing I know for sure! 

Another blessing from yesterday - Josh and I were blessed with a prayer quilt from Hamilton Mill United Methodist's "Piecemakers" Quilt Ministry. A prayer quilt is a quilt with loose strands of strings in different sections all over the quilt. These strings are left so that you can tie knots every time you pray for, in our case, baby Murphy. The ladies that made the quilt also prayed over it and started tying knots. Here is a picture of the quilt! You can see some of the loose strands at the top.
of course the giraffes are just perfect :)

Josh and I have been truly blessed through the past two months. When we received the diagnosis in January I felt like our lives had been turned upside down and I really wasn't sure how I was going to handle everything. Through the continuation of doctor's appointments and the "wild ride" we have been on so far, I really do think this has made us stronger as individuals, in our marriage, and in our faith. God has chosen us to be baby Murphy's parents for a reason. I may question this at times because of the overwhelming fear I have but regardless I know that God will walk with us through every part of the journey. I have started to feel more 'normal' and able to talk about things with people, but as the time approaches for him to make his big arrival I am getting more and more nervous. Before all of this I had started reading the book "What to Expect When You're Expecting"... and it is quite a long book. I haven't really read anymore of it because I feel like it should have one page that reads - "Don't expect anything." I have no idea what his arrival will bring, but I just pray that I feel as prepared as I can be through it all.

We don't have another doctor's appointment until next Thursday with Dr. V - the pediatric cardiologist. Please be in prayer that everything with his heart is looking the same and that nothing has changed in the negative direction. Thank  you again from the bottom of my heart to all of the people surrounding us in prayer and to those that have blessed us in other ways as well. We greatly appreciate it and know that baby Murphy is loved by so many already! I can't wait to be able to post his first pictures here and also reveal his name to everyone!

Love to you all,
Ashlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment