Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Wave of Light

I know, I know - I said I would be posting my ideas for October 15 a while back, and I am just now getting around to it. Life has been busy! Between teaching, moving, and my Masters program I have had little "free" time. 

The move went great and we are still working on getting unpacked - it is weird to see your whole life in boxes. Some people have asked about the house. It is a 4 bedroom, 2 bath ranch with a HUGE backyard - our 2 dogs are in love! 

Now, on to my idea. October is infant and pregnancy awareness month, but October 15 was chosen as the specific day of rememberance. This is a day when all parents (all over the world) who have lost a child can come together and be supported by each other and their families. The tradition has been to light a candle at 7 PM and let it burn for one hour. With families across the world participating in this it makes a continual "wave of light" for 24 hours. I think it would be awesome to have all of our family and friends participating in this - with our own little spin. Most of you might not remember how we made our Facebook pregnancy announcement, but we used pumpkins: 



We also used pumpkins for our engagement announcement a few years back:


Notice a theme? We love pumpkins and both of the announcements were made in October! Since it is October and they are in season, I would love if everyone would carve a pumpkin, light their candle, and let it burn in the pumpkin for one hour (7PM - 8PM) on the night of October 15. Also, if you can, take a picture of your family with your pumpkin and lit candle and send it to me! At the end of the year I am going to make a blog book with all of my posts from this year, and I would love to have a post with all of the pictures from everyone who lit a candle in rememberance of Sawyer and all other little ones gone too soon. Even if you can't light your candle in a pumpkin you can still participate - light the candle in whatever way you can!

I am so thankful to have wonderful friends and family who are willing to participate in something like this. It makes me happy to know you are thinking of my sweet boy and support Josh and I as we go through this grieving process. I have some more blog posts coming up - as soon as I get some boxes unpacked :). I am participating in something called Capture Your Grief - a 30 day photo challenge with each day being a different focus. I will make a post of those at the end of the month, but I have enjoyed sharing my Sawyer with people through pictures. 

I hope you all can participate on October 15 - and if you want to send me your family pciture with your pumpkin let me know and I will send you my email address! 

Until next time,
Ashlyn 



1 comment:

  1. My girls and I will try to remember to light some candles this evening and i will send the pic tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete